Trail Maintainer Vacancies
To receive an MATC trail maintenance section, you must be a member of MATC, with trail maintenance skills.
These can be learned by joining MATC or the Maine Trail Crew worktrips or attending the MATC trail maintenance workshop.
Contact the District Overseer for more information or to apply for a Maintainer position
Current Maintainer Vacancies
Anyone interested in these assignments may apply by sending a letter or email of application to the listed District Overseer stating any previous trail maintenance experience. Applicants should be willing to commit to making at least 3 trips per season, Spring, Summer and Fall to clear water bars and blow downs, do annual brush clipping as needed and blazing every few years. Just three tools are needed on most maintenance trips, a small handsaw, hand clippers and a short hand hoe.
KATAHDIN DISTRICT OVERSEER
Rick Ste. Croix
WHITE CAP DISTRICT OVERSEER
PO Box 1771 Greenville, ME 04441
- ALL VACANCIES ARE FILLED. Updated 11-17-2016
|KENNEBEC DISTRICT OVERSEER
P.O. Box 128 Caratunk, Maine 04925
Phone (207) 672-4989
Moxie Bald North Peak Trail
This side trail off of the Appalachian Trail (AT) on Moxie Bald Mountain (2629’ elev) is 0.7 miles of awesome open ridge walking with excellent views in all directions. The trail leaves the AT one mile north of the summit of Moxie Bald and terminates on the North Peak of Moxie Bald (2400’ elev). For various reasons this is an often overlooked gem of the area. In season, the abundant blueberries are an exceptional added benefit. This rather short blue-blaze trail is in need of TLC from an interested party. Being above “treeline” suggests that blowdowns will not be a problem, but the removal of brush and painting of blazes will need to be done.
Access to the start of the North Peak Trail is via the Appalachian Trail – 0.7 miles north of the northern junction of the AT and the Summit By-Pass Trail, or 1.1 miles south of the Moxie Bald Lean-to, or 1.0 mile north of the peak of Moxie Bald. Hiking in will no doubt take more time than the maintenance.
Section: Moxie Bald North Peak Trail
End Points: AT (1 mile north of the summit of Moxie Bald) and North Peak of Moxie Bald
Distance: 0.7 miles
- Park at Shirley/Blanchard Road and cross all of the northern abutting section (2.6 miles), including a ford the West Branch of the Piscataquis. This puts you at the northern end of the section and the campsite. It is a hike to start the work day, but a very pleasant one upstream along the West Branch.
- Park at Marble Brook Road and cross some of southern abutting section (~1 mile); ford Bald Mountain Stream to come into southern end of the section.
- Bushwhack from Breakneck Ridge (Perkins Road) downhill on old skidder trails to ford the West Branch of the Piscataquis and be very near the northern end of the section and the campsite.
- Logging roads off of the Shirley Tote Road west of Shirley Mills, through a forest gate and then bushwhack short distance to the southern third of the section.Section: Horseshoe CanyonDistance: approx. 3 miles
- End Points: Bald Mountain Stream north to Horseshoe Canyon
Horseshoe Canyon section & Horseshoe Canyon campsite/lean-to
An awesome section in the Kennebec District is looking for a new Maintainer. Actually, two openings exist as the section comes with a campsite. I would like to see the two responsibilities separated (two maintainers) so as to not overburden one person. So, I am looking for two interested parties.
The trail section maintenance includes 3.2 miles of white blaze from the West Branch of the Piscataquis north to the Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to north trail. The campsite is located just inside the northern section boundary and consists of approximately 0.4 miles of blue blaze access trail, the lean-to, privy, and several tent sites.
Access is not the easiest, but a beautiful area of the state. Several options:
Leanto/Campsite: North end of the above described section
- Please contact:
Craig Dickstein, MATC Kennebec District Overseer PO Box 128, Caratunk, ME 04925-0128 207.672.4983 firstname.lastname@example.org
BIGELOW DISTRICT OVERSEER
284 Ramsdell Rd. Farmington, ME 04938
Phone: (207) 778-0870
BALDPATE DISTRICT OVERSEER
P.O. Box 254 Port Clyde, ME 04855
Phone (207) 372-8806
- ALL VACANCIES ARE FILLED. Updated 11-17-2016
CORRIDOR MONITORING ASSIGNMENTS
David Field, MATC Overseer of Lands
Phone: (207) 862-3674
- Corridor Monitor Assignments Available. There are still some great opportunities for becoming involved in this relatively new, exciting aspect of caring for the Appalachian Trail in Maine. Click this link for a list of available assignments, information about corridor monitoring and field training sessions.