- This event has passed.
Maine Trail Crew: Third Mountain
July 25, 2022 - July 29, 2022
Join the Maine Appalachian Trail Club’s (MATC) Maine Trail Crew and work on some of the most pristine, remote sections of Maine’s Appalachian Trail. Help preserve this precious and wild resource for future generations of hikers. An enthusiastic staff awaits your arrival and is looking forward to building trail with you.
Projects focus on rebuilding and restoring heavily impacted sections of the Appalachian Trail. Crews utilize rigging equipment and hand tools to build stone steps and waterbars. This week’s specific project will be taking place near Third Mountain and is identified as a project that will be difficult/strenuous.
Persons 18 years old or older – of all backgrounds – are welcome. Enthusiasm, good health, energy and adaptability are vital. Willingness to follow instructions, comply with safety rules, and share chores is essential. Experience helps, but we teach trail skills.
Volunteers must arrive, by 4:00 p.m., the Sunday afternoon before the listed project start date for orientation at basecamp, which is in Skowhegan, Maine.
- Transportation to and from Portland, ME air, train and bus terminals
- Tents and packs provided if needed
- Housing and meals provided, including off time between work sessions
- Days off housing at Lake George Regional Park in Skowhegan, Maine.
- Training in trail work including stonework
- Enjoy hiking and camping on the beautiful Appalachian Trail
- See Maine moose and hear the loons
- Enjoy recreational trips to the mountains, ocean, and lakes on days off
- Receive a Maine Trail Crew T-shirt
- Feel great about what you have done for the Appalachian Trail
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required. Sorry, no pets are allowed.
Advanced registration necessary. Please express your interest by completing this application form. We will contact you after receiving your application. If you have questions, please email our Coordinator.