Kennebec River Ferry Service
The Kennebec River is the most formidable un-bridged crossing along the entire 2,185-mile Appalachian Trail.
The Kennebec is approximately 400 feet wide with a swift, powerful current under the best of circumstances. However, as a result of releases of water from hydroelectric facilities on the river, the depth and current of the river surge quickly and unpredictably. You cannot cross faster than the water level rises.
The Appalachian Trail Conservancy has contracted with
Greg Caruso of Maine Guide Service, LLC to provide the 2019 ferry service for AT hikers.
He may be contacted at (207) 858-3627 or email@example.com
Schedule for 2020
|May 22 – June 30||9 a.m. – 11 a.m.|
|July 1 – September 30||9 a.m. – 2 p.m.|
- This ferry service — not fording — is the officially sanctioned means of crossing the Kennebec River on the Appalachian Trail. The A.T. was located here originally because of the existence of a ferry to provide access to Pierce Pond for visiting sportsmen.
- Hikers must meet the ferry on either the east or west banks of the Kennebec River at the point of the AT crossing. If the ferry is on the opposite side, making yourself visible to the ferry operator will assure a timely crossing.
- Hikers will be required to sign a release form, wear a life jacket, and follow the instructions of the ferry operator. If river conditions or weather make the crossing dangerous in the judgment of the ferry operator, the service will be discontinued until conditions improve.
- Large groups – please call ahead to indicate when you will need the ferry service. No camping and no fires are permitted within the Trail corridor on either side of the Kennebec River. Camping and fires are permitted only at designated campsites.
- This service is provided only for users of the Appalachian Trail and is not available to the general public.
- For service outside of the regular season (see the above dates) there is a $50 fee per crossing (one or two hikers). Please plan ahead and call or e-mail well in advance. Absolutely no service will be available between November 1st and April 30th.