Volunteer with Maine Trail Crew
Dream of volunteering on the Appalachian Trail in Maine?
FOR SUMMER 2021 CANCELLED DUE TO COVID
Maine Appalachian Trail Club has made the tough decision to not utilize volunteers for the Summer 2021 to keep our staff and volunteers safe. We are concerned about the risk of spreading the virus when crew members travel together in vans, share housing, food, tools and privies. This is disappointing for MATC as an organization and for our many dedicated volunteers. Thank you for understanding. Please consider volunteering with the Maine Trail Crew in 2022.
Join the Maine Trail Crew and work on some of the most pristine, remote sections of Maine’s Appalachian Trail. Help preserve this precious and wild resource for future generations of hikers. An enthusiastic staff awaits your arrival and is looking forward to building trail with you.
Work, hike and live in some of the wildest places left in the Eastern U.S. Projects focus on rebuilding and restoring heavily impacted sections of the Appalachian Trail. Crews utilize Griphoist® rigging equipment, and hand tools to build stone steps, waterbars and retaining walls to repair the Appalachian Trail.
Persons of age 18 or older – of all backgrounds – are welcome. Enthusiasm, good health, energy and adaptability are vital. Willingness to follow instructions, comply with safety rules, and share camp chores is essential. Experience helps, but we teach trail skills here.
- Transportation to and from Bangor International Airport and Bus Terminals
- Tents and packs are provided if needed
- Housing and meals are provided, including off time between work sessions
- Days off Housing is on an island in Branns Mill Pond, Dover Foxcroft, Maine.
- Make new friends
- Learn new trail skills
- Lots of hiking on the Appalachian Trail and elsewhere
- Build works in stone to last for the ages
- Stay in mountain-side campsites
- See Maine moose and hear the loons
- Recreational trips to the mountains, ocean and lakes on days off
- Receive a Maine Trail Crew T-shirt
- Feel great about what you have done for the Appalachian Trail.
Time Frame: You are welcome to join us for one or more weeks! Sorry, no pets are allowed. Work includes weekends.
To Reserve your space, request an application:
Email (preferred) Holly Sheehan, firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Maine Appalachian Trail Club, P.O. Box 7564, Portland, ME 04112