Maine Appalachian Trail Club (MATC)
Request for Proposals for Training our Trail Crew in Trail Building for the Years 2024, 2025, 2026
Background – During the 2024, 2025, 2026 field seasons, the MATC’s Maine Trail Crew will work on remote sections of the Appalachian Trail.
Projects will focus on rebuilding and restoring heavily impacted sections of the Appalachian Trail. The Trail Crew will utilize rigging equipment and hand tools to build stone steps, stone stairs, waterbars, and complete short relocations.
Scope of Work – To provide five days of training each of the three years to the Maine Trail Crew staff (5 people) consisting of:
- Three days of training in advanced trail construction and safety practices focused on stone cutting, stone waterbars, stone stairs, step stones, retaining walls, and trail relocations.
- Two days of training in rigging systems. Training will be based in Skowhegan, with possible nearby field trips to locations which provide better training opportunities.
- The contractor is not required to provide equipment although demonstration of new state of the art tools and equipment would be welcome.
Time Frame for completion of project (start to finish)
– Between May 20-31 2024
- Between May 19-30, 2025
- Between May 18-29, 2026
Due date for a lump sum project quote – 5:00 PM Eastern time, August 24, 2023.
Contractors interested in submitting a proposal must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org expressing their interest no later than 5:00 PM Eastern time August 11, 2023 in order to be eligible to submit. Proposal on August 24th and to receive any amendments to the Request for Proposals.
Proposals must Include
• Resume of the person who will be instructing the crew detailing their experience in training trail crews in the skills referenced in the scope of work.
• Brief curriculum of the training
- A lump sum price for completing the training for all three years
Prior to award of the contact, the selected Contractor will be required to provide the following:
- Workers’ compensation coverage, unless exempt by law and ensure that its Subcontractors, if any, comply with these requirements.
- General Liability Insurance:
- Must name MATC as additional insured.
- Coverage limits: $1,000,000 per occurrence/$2,000,000 aggregate
- Auto: Coverage limit of $1,000,000
Questions should be submitted in writing by email to email@example.com by 5:00 PM Eastern time, August 11, 2023. A written response to any questions will be emailed to all parties who have expressed their interest in the project.
MATC will select the contractor based on qualifications and price by September 22, 2023 and reserves the right to reject any and all proposals.